Pages

Search This Blog

Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Body After Baby and Other stuff

Yikes! Why oh why did I step on the scale a few weeks back. Depressing with a capital D. I am not a scale girl by nature, I go by how my clothes feel, so I'm not sure why I chose to torture myself 2 months post baby in that manner. Either way I did it and it wasn't pretty. I realized that I needed to stop relying on breastfeeding to take off the weight alone and get some help.

I started doing Yoga again. When we belonged to a gym before we got our own workout equipment, I did yoga at least twice a week. I forgot how great it feels to stretch out and to feel the slow burn that only yoga can do.

I also started making it a point to get a walk in almost every evening. Lots of times my husband comes with. Baby K naps and we chat about the day. The weather has been beautiful in Minneapolis this spring. It has been one of the nicest that I can remember and it's perfect for getting out and getting those legs moving.

Finally, I bought a book about getting the proper nutrition and losing weight while breastfeeding. It's called Eat Well, Lose Weight, While Breastfeeding. I love this book. Love it! The author, Eileen Behan, breaks down proper nutrition in a way that is so easy to understand. When I follow her eating plan I get to eat so.much.food and I feel great. It's scary to mess with your food intake when your breastfeeding, but this book helps you understand your unique nutritional needs as a breastfeeding momma.

Speaking of breastfeeding, I've hit the three month mark! Baby K is three months old and I have exclusively breast fed her for that long. She received a small amount of formula supplementation in the hospital to help with the jaundice, but other than that, girlfriend has been nursing or taking expressed milk from the bottle. After following a new momma struggling with milk production, I feel so incredibly fortunate to have had a successful breastfeeding experience. At first it was stressful, but once we got the hang of everything, it has been an so enjoyable - well except for those growth spurts, those will bring nearly anyone to tears. I never would have thought I would enjoy breastfeeding, seriously, if I had had a child younger I don't even think I would have even tried. I am so glad that I did and so glad that we've had an easy time of it. My goal is to hit 6 months, and then I think we'll switch to pumping only and then by nine months, I'm hoping to have enough in the freezer to take her to a year.

Uggh, even talking about Baby K being a year makes my heart hurt. Why do they have to grow up so quickly? The changes in three months are amazing. It's like she's a kid now. She is developing a little personality and smiling and "chatting" with us. I can't wrap my head around it.

So enough rambling. I have some product reviews coming up and some other fun posts coming up.

No comments:

Post a Comment