Pages

Search This Blog

Friday, February 19, 2010

Nipple Shields, Spit Up and Burp Cloths

Baby K didn't really spit up in her early days, but because she arrived at 37 weeks she had difficulty latching on so I was using a nipple shield. If you've ever had to use one, you know it makes for extra messy feedings. I found out pretty quickly that we had a burp cloth deficit in our house (and that breast milk stains). I needed to buy more or I was doomed to be scraping together loads of laundry every day so I could wash the few I had.

It's winter in MN, who wants to drag a newborn out into the snow and cold to buy burp cloths? Not me. So back to Amazon I went...seriously, it's starting to look like I have an Amazon problem! After a little searching, I decided to purchase three different kinds.

It must have been fate or maybe mother's intuition because right after they arrived on our doorp step, Baby K started spitting up after pretty much every feeding. The lactation consultant said she probably has a bit of reflux, again due to her near term birth and the fact that she is taking more milk now. We are going through 4-5 burp cloths every day. Add together burp cloths, the clothing changes for both us, plus the boppy cover changes (thank goodness we have an extra) and you have a new momma spending some extra time down in the kind of icky basement of the house we are renting while building our dream home, doing crazy amounts of laundry. No need to scrape together loads anymore, now I can't keep up. Umm...I will say that the elevated washer and dryer in our second floor laundry room in the new house will be so appreciated. I already warned JZ that he will likely catch me sitting on the floor in there crying tears of joy.

Where was I again? Oh yeah, burp cloths. On with the reviews....

Gerber Pre-fold Cloth Diapers

What you say? Cloth diapers are not just for diapering? No way! These pre-fold cloth diapers work fabulously. I sprung for the organic ones just because. They're soft, absorbent and relatively reasonably prices, especially if you don't buy the organic ones. Regardless of brand, cloth diapers are a great burp cloth option.

New Momma Jomma rating: 5 stars

Gerber Flannel Burp Cloths

These are more expensive than the cloth diapers, even the organic ones, and dare I say, the exact same thing. They are a bit stiff and not quite as soft. I won't buy more...the girly prints definitely not worth it.

New Momma Jomma rating: 3 stars

Under the Nile Cotton Burp Cloths

Ok - these guys are EXPENSIVE and honestly, they are maybe/kinda worth the money. They are huge, super soft and really absorbent. I feel extra good wiping the curds off of Baby K's sweet little face with these. I won't buy more because of the price, but these are almost always in the dirty laundry because I reach for them first. A nice little splurge for yourself and a wonderful, luxurious gift for an expecting or new mom.

New Momma Jomma rating: 4.5 stars - I'd rate them 5 stars if not for the price

No comments:

Post a Comment