Pages

Search This Blog

Thursday, February 18, 2010

The Poop on Cloth Wipes

I confess, I read what seemed like a million books, blogs, message boards while I was pregnant, but some where along the way, I missed the tiny tidbit of information that breastfed babies poop more (in the beginning at least). Not sure how I missed it, or if I did in fact read it and just didn't retain it. Maybe I was in denial.

When we were in the hospital, we had these handy dandy little wipes that you wet with water. They were kind of gauzy, but the texture was perfect for cleaning up the tarry black meconium. I liked them and debated telling the nurse that we were low on them right before we left the hospital so they would bring me a big pack that I could bring home. I did that with the mesh undies (love them) and those awesome ice pack pads, but that's a whole other story. Anyhoo, I had a whole case of Seventh Generation wipes and didn't really think much about using disposable wipes. It wasn't until the millionth diaper change that we did in the first few days that Baby K was home and her tiny little bottom was looking read and irritated. It was while I was smearing Mustela Vitamin Barrier all over her tiny tushie, that I remembered reading in the information booklet our pediatrician left us at the hospital, that using water alone was really the best method for wiping our baby.


So, to save my poor baby's behind, I got my rather large postnatal behind on to Amazon and did a search for cloth wipes. Do you ever read the reviews on Amazon? Seriously, one of the best sources of info ever! After reading the reviews on several kinds of cloth wipes and learning a ton about how to use them, I ordered three different kinds to test out and a warmer to keep them in - all shipped two day because of my rockstar Prime membership. God, I love Prime...seriously worth the money! I'll review them in order from my best to not my favorite (none of them were horrible, so there isn't a worst).

Needless to say, since switching to cloth wipes while at home (I still use disposables on-the-go), Baby K's bottom has been red-free. Even JZ loves using the cloth wipes better!

Unbleached Flannel Baby Wipes

















These wipes were the least expensive and by far my favorite. They are thin enough to get into all the nooks and crannies and are super soft and make quick work out of getting her poop-free. I wet them, fold them in half, roll them up and keep them in the wipe warmer. They hold up in the wash and I feel so good about using them.

New Momma Jomma rating: 5 stars













These wipes do the trick, but they are kind of thick, which should be good in theory, but it actually makes it hard to get into all the nooks and crannies and only one side is soft. I also find that they get a bit of an odor - maybe it's the hemp, but I definitely don't like them as well as the flannel wipes.

New Momma Jomma rating: 3 stars












These wipes were the most expensive and my least favorite of the three. These are EXTRA thick and again, only soft on one side. They are so thick and take up so much space in the warmer that you would be constantly refilling, which I do every couple of days now as it is. They have great reviews on Amazon, and don't get me wrong, they do the job, but I don't like them as well as the flannel wipes. They do however make great wash cloths.

New Momma Jomma rating: 2 stars as a wipe 3 stars wash cloths

If you're interested in using cloth wipes, buy a wipe warmer. The warmer isn't so much to keep them warm, although I think that is nice, but rather a place to store your pre-moistened wipes. We bought two Munchkin brand warmers, one regular and one deluxe. I like them both, but any warmer you choose to purchase will likely work just fine.

No comments:

Post a Comment